I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
~ Seen on a t-shirt (that I was wearing at the time)
Happy Tuesday morning all you awesome people. Welcome to another Top Five Tuesday!
I’m sure you have run into folks who think direct mail is dying. Let’s take a couple minutes today and remind them that direct mail is not dying and that it is, in fact, still full of marketing awesomeness. Here’s 5 reasons why:
5. Precise targeting: Direct marketing allows marketers to finely target their audience. Sure, buying commercial time on TV or radio can get you into the ballpark, but the targeting is imprecise. Yes, broadcast media advertising has its place; so does newspaper advertising – but it can get expensive. Direct mail? You want to reach women, age 25-54 with an estimated household income over $75,000+ in six local communities? Great! Make those selections and PRESTO! You have a mailing list that hits your exact target audience. We preach targeting at the Completely Interesting Direct Marketing Blog. Targeting works. Do it!
4. Flexibility: Marketers have so many options when sending to an audience via direct mail. Letters, postcards, brochures, special die-cut pieces, bricks, keys, catalogs and just about anything else a creative mind could conceive. Creativity can thrive in this environment.
3. Tangible/personal message: You can address your prospects by name. Folks like to be noticed and it’s been proven time and again that personalization generates a meaningful lift in response. Further, you can’t put a radio commercial into someone’s hand. Direct mail, even more than other direct channels such as e-mail and telemarketing, can put your offer literally (yes, literally) into your best prospects’ hands.
2. Measurable: There’s no question other forms of promotion can give you a good feel (most of them time) as to whether the promotion was successful or not. With direct mail there is no feel – you know. Send out X, get Y responses, divide Y by X and VOILA! you have a response rate. Do you want to test a new message? Great! Divide Y by X on the new campaign; compare it to your prior “VOILA!” and see – I mean, really, see in black and white – which worked better. Wash, rinse, repeat.
And, the number one reason why direct mail is STILL AWESOME:
1. It’s Cost-Effective: Yeah, yeah … printing costs are pricier than they used to be; postage is still the bane of every direct mail professional, but, even taking those two things into consideration, the cost to enter the game is still really, really low. One person businesses is probably going to have some difficulty buying TV time and have the cost justify the results. A one person business can send out a professional looking direct mail piece designed through a template at Vistaprint or some similar site, upload a mailing list and send out the mailing in one day for a reasonable cost. The barrier to entry is simply so much lower. So, uh, what are you waiting for?!! Get mailing!